shiny flowers...

Hey everyone!

In honor of spring, I thought I would share with you a tutorial I put together for the Creative Inspirations Paint blog... It involves a technique that I really enjoy using to alter flowers.

Step 1: Color your paper flower using desired method.  I'm using a white Prima flower and some Creative Inspirations paint, but you can use inks, sprays, or other paints.

Step 2: Dry your flower completely.  This is important to avoid problems later on.

Step 3: Press the top of your flower into a clear embossing ink.

Step 4: Cover your flower with UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel). You can use regular clear embossing powder, it just takes longer to build up layers.

Step 5: Carefully heat the UTEE.  Start with your heat gun a ways away, and move it slowly towards your flower as the powders start to melt. This will help keep the powders in place while they melt instead of flying all over.

This gets very hot! I suggest using tweezers to hold your flower.

Step 6: While UTEE is still hot, cover with more UTEE.

 Repeat until the desired enamel is built up. I usually do between 3-5 layers.

Step 7: While the last layer of UTEE is still hot, you can sprinkle on some glitter.

Step 8: Gently reheat the flower to allow the glitter to adhere to the UTEE. Your glitter will stay in place.. no flacking off all over your projects...I love that!

I used this technique for this simple card... 
Paper: Coredinations, white cardstock
Stamps: Glitz "Distressing", 3 Bugs in a Rug "Flower Patch", VersaMark
Ink: Archival Ink (Jet Black), Distress Ink (Milled Lavender)
Creative Inspirations paint: Amethyst, Silver Frost
Other: Prima flowers, brad, trim, UTEE, Glitter


There is so much shine in these flowers! The paint is shimmery, the glitter is sparkly, and the UTEE is glossy.. WOW!

Well, I hope you enjoyed this!  I'll be back soon with more projects to share. =)
~Kassi

Comments