a less traditional wedding...

Recently, my cousin got married.

This, of course, meant I needed to make a card.

I am apparently not very good at making wedding cards. Probably because I don't do it very often... Or maybe I just end up putting too much pressure on myself.. After all, it is SUCH an important day in the lives of the bride and groom, that I want the card to be as incredible as the day... 

After far too many scrapped attempts, I decided to go less traditional, and stick with something that just felt right to me. After all, it's my cousin... She's seen some of my work. I might as well be true to me, instead of trying to force something that wasn't me.  

Since she I know how much she loves animals, I decided to go with a vintage bird cage image, and build from there.

One of my favorite things to do with gesso on kraft paper... Stamp an image with VersaMark and emboss it with clear embossing powder, then paint over it with gesso. Once the gesso is dry, you can rub it off of the embossed image with a damp rag. It give a great distressed look. For more fun... tint the gesso with some re-inker!

I love little bows with big ribbon... they are so poofy!  I also love the lace edging underneath the ribbon... it is a stamp from My Mind's Eye that was embossed... LOVE!

The inside had to look as pretty as the outside!

And a special envelope designed to perfectly fit the gift card! There is a little piece of tape on the flap to seal it so the card will lay flat once the card is inside.  Ah, the beauty of handmade cards... you can custom make it to hold gift cards or anything else your heart desires!

I'm happy with how it turned out. I hope she like it, and I wish her and her new husband the very best!

Enjoy!
~Kassi

Supplies Used:
Paper: kraft, DCWV
Ink: VersaMark, Distress Ink, Colorbox Pigment, Archival Ink
Stamps: TPC Studio "Vintage Birdcages" & "Boho Blooms", My Minds Eye "Story", Inkadinkado "Script", Stapendous "Charm Collection", Graphic 45 "Secret Garden"
Dies: Spellbinders "Labels 18"
Other: ribbon, gesso, embossing powder

Comments