sending sunshine....

Hello my fabulous friends, and happy Monday!

It stopped raining at my house! The sun is shining and the sky is blue!!
(don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good rainstorm.. it's just a nice change to see the sun once in a while!)

Today I'm playing along with Altenew's January challenge


I'll be honest, this one was a challenge for me... working with yellows and deep reddish brown is not my usual color palette... However, that's what makes it a challenge... doing something different than you might normally do. I love that about challenges. I get to experiment and stretch and I often find I like the end result!

Ink: Distress Ink Antique Linen, VersaFine Onyx Black,  Zig Clean Color Bright Yellow (052), Light Brown (061), Mid Green (046), Olive Green (043), Brown (060), Dark Brown (062)


Step 1: Stamp images on Bristol paper using Antique Linen Distress ink. I ended up doing a bunch of different images and masking to get a nice full bunch of flowers and leaves.

Step 2: Color the images. I used Zig Clean Color for this. I've noticed that they don't always stay true to their original color when water is added. Always test first! The reddish flowers are actually at the Brown (060) marker, but when you add water to blend, it turns into a reddish-pinkish-brown.

Now to add a little subtle dimension...

Step 3: Lightly trace the shape you want your window to be with a pencil. (I used an oval frame die fast my template.) Make sure multiple points of the image go beyond the traced shape, as that is what will keep the whole panel together.

Step 4: Use a sharp exacto knife to cut out the white space inside the traced window shape. You really need to use a shape knife for this! Also, it helps reduce tearing if you start from the inside and work out... meaning, start cutting out the inner most areas first, and move out towards the edge of your shape.

Step 5: Attach foam tape to the back of the panel and the flowers, and adhere to your card front. I chose to use the same Bristol paper behind the window for a more subtle look, but you could do a contrasting color for a real pop! 

I think the sentiment from Altenew's Oriental Orchids is perfect for today... 
"Sending you sunshine and smiles"


I hope you have a wonderful week!!

Enjoy!
~Kassi




SaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

Post a Comment