adding depth with colored pencils...

Hello my fabulous friends!

As you know, I recently got a whole big set of Chameleon pens. Alcohol markers are fairly new to me... as in, this year.  I'm still learning. 

I've been spending a lot of time online trying to pick up techniques and pointers on working with alcohol markers.. I've also spent a lot of time playing and practicing.... For every project you see me post, I guarantee there are TONS of practice images on scrap paper scattered over my table so I can test and try colors, blends, techniques, etc. that you never see!

This week, I wanted to experiment with some no line coloring, and using colored pencils over the alcohol markers to create more dimension. (I also did some experimenting with color layering...)


I used two shades of gray Chameleon Pens to build my shadows, then colored over that with Crimson Red... Then went back in with more gray, and more red... until I was happy. Once the whole flower was done I added deeper shadows with black and red colored pencils, and lightened some areas with white.

 I'll be honest, I'm using super cheap kiddie colored pencils... It's what I have. They didn't blend well, nor could I build many layers with them.  That being said, I LOVE the depth and detail the colored pencil gives to the overall look!

 It's definitely something I will keep using,  and a set of good colored pencils is now on my wish list!

Paper: Georgia Pacific 110# white card stock, Paper Studio Glam Glitter 
Stamps: Altenew Amazing You
Ink: Clearly Kelly, Altenew Crimson, Chameleon Pens Warm Gray 7 (WG7), Warm Gray 3 (WG3), Crimson Red (RD4), Olive Green (OL3), Peony Pink (PK4), Colorless Blender (CB), Detail Pen (D)
Other: Colored Pencils, Pretty Pink Posh Sparkling Clear Sequins (3mm & 4mm)

Here's a close up of the finished flowers and leaves.. Not perfect, but I'm learning! 

The Sequins were tinted pink by coloring them with Peony Pink Chameleon pen... I love that I can make clear sequins any color I want with alcohol markers!


Today's card was inspired by Altenew's July Inspiration Challenge... 


I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Enjoy!
~Kassi


Comments

  1. Love how you managed to add so much depth to these beautiful flowers, your colouring is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment