smooch splatters

Hello my fabulous friends!

This week we are having a heat wave... Sounds like the perfect time to stay inside by the AC and do some stamping, don't you think?

I've been wanting to do some painting that was a little more on the purply side of pink, and I thought these peonies were perfect for that. I also wanted to get a little messy with splatters...

Paper: Strathmore Bristol; Recollections glitter paper; black card stock
Ink: VersaMark; VersaFine Onyx Black, Smooch Snickerdoodle; Zig Clean Color Lilac (083), Pale Rose (230), Violet (080), Deep Red (260), Green Gray (093), Olive Green (043)

I started by stamping the flowers and leaves on bristol paper with VersaMark ink and heat embossing them with clear embossing powder. Then I colored them in using Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers and a water brush... (for an in-depth tutorial on how I watercolor with these markers HERE)

Next, I added detail in with some colored pencils... Nothing fancy, I just have a cheap set I picked up in the school supply isle... but they do the job. I softened the lines a little with a kneadable eraser. (I love those things!!!)

After the coloring was done, I masked off the flowers... I like to make masks out of acetate because I can reuse them, and ink won't seep through.

To make the masks, I stamp the images on a piece of acetate with Archival ink. When the ink is dry, I fussy cut it out, and put some temporary adhesive on the back. 

For the metallic splatters, I mixed a little bit of water with some Snickerdoodle Smooch ink. I then used a long, thin liner brush to pick up the watery ink and tapped the brush against my finger... This is very messy, and you can't really control where the drops go, but I like the look. 
*cover your work area... the splatters go all over!*

The sentiment was stamped with VersaFine Onyx Black ink so it would go over the embossed lines. I wanted to put it on a black card front to tie in with the sentiment, but it felt too harsh, so I added some thin strips of gold glitter paper around the edges to add an extra matt. 

Have a wonderful day!

Enjoy!
~Kassi

Comments

  1. Masks from acetate is a brilliant idea! Gorgeous coloring, I love the layout of blooms!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment